Sunday, June 29, 2008

News about Amigo and the Ducklings

Amigo has been out three times this week. The first was last Wednesday, and wow was it easy to tell he hadn't been ridden in a while (I'd been away). He got upset very easily. I tried to push him through it, but he started to tremble & that's dangerous. So I changed the pace. Apparently, he needs time to consider things, and if he's pushed before he takes the time to think about a new situation, he first begins to tremble, and then he will in desperation begin evasive maneouvres. So for the rest of the ride I tried letting him consider things before responding to queues. This worked pretty well for him on that ride.

Yesterday I took him out again, this time without another horse to follow. He balked a fair amount. For the first part of the ride he was allowed to think about things, but for the second part I was pushing him through balks that seemed to have no reason. I used the reins to very gently slap him on the shoulder or rump (it was more like a tickle); this annoyed him enough that he began to move each time it happened. He still will hardly canter for me, but I was very pleased that he has begun going willingly through creeks. He even went right into a dark treeline, down a steep hill, over a creek, and up again in a place where almost every horse I've ridden there has needed me to lead him through the first time. I was very, very pleased when he did that. It shows real willingness.

In the middle of our ride, in a large meadow where nobody ever goes, we got soaked with a driving rain. It's been a long time since I've been riding on a sopping wet horse with rain streaming through my hair and down my face. I'd forgotten how wonderful it can feel. Both he and I enjoyed the relief from flies and heat.

Today we went out again, with Molly riding Ben. Amigo did many things very well on this ride. First, he went through the covered bridge (where he had refused before) without any hesitation, though he did arch his neck, snort, and step very high. Second, he was the hero of the day when he plunged into Lewis Creek with me on his back. He went straight for the deepest part of the creek. The water came up to my shins. Ben had been refusing to go down, but once Amigo was in, he followed and went right through it, too. This cut off nearly a mile of the ride on the way home. I was very happy with him for doing that. Lastly, he let me wash him with the hose and stood still for it. He has learned so much!

On the other hand, he still likes to balk and can do a very annoying walk that is something of a meander. Instead of going straight, each step he looks for a way to change the momentum to going back the other way. This is definitely not "going forward willingly."

About the ducklings--we have lost 3 of them to some kind of illness. One more doesn't look as energetic as the others, and I fear this is the next one to go. What a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers