Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Magical Moments



I love to watch new horses meet my sons. Mikey is nine years old, and Danny is 11 years old. it's hard to describe just why the moment when one of our new horses spots one of the boys and approaches him stands out as so magical in my mind. But it's something about the -- I won't say purity, and I won't say nakedness, though both words came to mind -- maybe what I mean is familiarity. The spirit and energy of a child is much more like the spirit and energy of a horse than that of an adult is. When a horse and a child interact, they follow no script. The horses ears come forward the child shrinks a little with nervousness, then reaches out just as the horse stretches forward his nose, ear forward, eyes wide. A sniff, a touch, and then, after a brief period of mutual curiosity, it always seems that both lose interest at almost exactly the same time. They recognize each other on some level and understanding is swift and unselfconscious.

3 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful that made me cry...
    I love the way you write!
    and I love the fact you write!
    and I love the pics you take...
    These two boys are growing up too fast!
    Oh boy, how I wish I was there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...

    You now have another avid fan - Xu Li...

    Now that she has learned how to get to your blog, she checks it each day... The pictures she especially enjoys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blog, Xu Li. I'm glad you liked the pictures. Leave a comment sometime.

    Pri, you are the one who inspired me to put pitchers up on this blog. Every time I add a photo I think of you and I think about how you will feel when you see it. How I wish you were here!

    ReplyDelete

Followers