Friday, November 14, 2008

Missing My Boys

Every two weeks occurs what I call "the long haul." It is a stretch of five days when the boys are with their dad. I grit my teeth and put my head down and kind of plow through those five days because I miss them. I try to look at the bright side -- activities that I can do (like fox hunting and working and long, long trail rides) that are difficult when they're around. Sometimes that makes it all right but other times, I turn a corner in the house and see something (like Mikey's duffel bag, packed carefully with individually selected stuffed animals, each with a name), and I feel a sort of gap open up in my inner world, shaped exactly like Mikey or Danny.

Fortunately for the children, they have become used to this process and besides, they have a loving parent in the other household, so I don't think they have the same kind of experience. And that's fine. They shouldn't be feeling bad in either house, for any reason.

And the good news is, when they are here, everything is right and perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers