Monday, January 5, 2009

Horse Doings


Rocket: doing five miles per day. In great shape, but gets sweaty. Needs a trim so he can cool better. We should be ready on competition day (January 24th, 25 mile competitive trail ride).

Jack: Starting to look more like an adult pony. Just too cute. Loves to play with Rocket.


Memphis: Doesn't have enough to do. I need to find a rider for her. Any small people who are good riders out there? She can carry up to 120 lbs easily and actually does fine with a little more. We had her pulling a sled the other day. She seemed to love it.  And the kids? Well, look at their faces.



Dante: Limping. Probably another abscess. He is with Cocoa over at Clark's right now.

Cocoa: Beautiful. Hasn't been worked in about a month & so has the Ali attitude again. 

Ed: Did a nice job on a trail ride the other day. Four miles mostly at a jog. What an easy horse to ride! Needed a firm hand to keep moving, though. Balked for Van.

Meg: That girl has so much potential! Loves her trail rides. Needs to work on organization such as breathing with her footfalls and keeping her middle straight when she canters (she goes all sort of diagonal and bendy when she canters). 

The rest of us:

Mikey is sleeping beside me. Has plans for the morning, wants me to wake him up at 6 when I get up. Got a new PSP game for his trip to Montreal next week. Cracked me up earlier today trying to find reasons I shouldn't stop to chat with people when I meet them out & about the world.

Danny was happy to be home but got cranky pretty quickly & maybe didn't have a good dinner because he needed one. Who knows--he's  a pre-teen and the way they take on food is jaw-dropping (for me, too). He had a smoothie & a kid cuisine. 

Lucy: tried to go on our ride today but got tired by the time we were at Magic & Alan's & Elizabeth's. She snoozed with them until I came back for her.

Shadow: actually did go along for the ride. Tried to take a short cut by going through Lewis Creek! I couldn't stop Rocket quickly enough & when I finally did & we went back poor Shadow had swum through the fast, icy, swollen creek to the side we were on, then hove himself out while I watched helplessly from the road.  His little head sticking up out of the water was one of the most touching things.... But after all he did it & was fine.

Mimoka: went home with Van. All five of her.

Midnight: doing better. Has only Shadow to play with but seems pretty happy to be dragged around and mauled by a big slobbery puppy.

We lost one duck the other day. Sad. The poor thing got locked in the grain room & I'm not sure how long it was in there.  Maybe two days. I found it only after it was weak from hunger & thirst. It was too late, though. It didn't recover & was dead by morning. I feel terrible for it.

Me: I have a cold. Going to sleep.


1 comment:

  1. THE BLOGS ARE VERY ENTERTAINING, AND THE PICTURES ONLY MAKE THEM BETTER...
    D

    ReplyDelete

Followers