Saturday, March 1, 2008

Getting Attached

Total freak-out today when I looked out the window and saw Dante kicking at his own gut & swishing his tail & lying down on the ground without rolling.

I love that horse. Today I was struck by how fragile horses' lives are--remembering Sunny and how he was okay one day and dead the next. I love Dante because I have sat by him through so many illnesses and seen his patient, strong spirit last it out. Also because so many people have told me to give up on him and I have countered with, "How can I give up on him if he is not ready to give up on himself?" Also because he is so lovely to ride--he notices my excitement when he starts to go fast and builds on it. But mostly, Dante is a silly, loving clown who wants to do well--and he is the best athlete I have ever met.

His bout of colic passed fast this time. It happened because his diet changed slightly. What a responsibility--this horse needs the exact same meal at the exact same time every day! I just hope that when I travel he doesn't get too mixed up.

He's okay now, though. To my unutterable relief...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers